Basketball Federation of Serbia in cooperation with the Basketball Coach Association of Serbia and Kokoskov family organize humanitarian sale of eminent NBA and European stars’ game shirts , before Qualifying tournament for Olympic Games , that is scheduled from 4th to 9th July 2016 in Belgrade. The aim of this action is to raise money for ventilatory assistance machines needed by patients suffering from Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a disease that was fatal for our eminent basketball coach Aca Petrovic.
In Serbia there are four ALS centers ( Belgrade, Nis, Novi Sad, and Kragujevac) and each center should get one medical device, and total commercial price, including other accompanying tools and equipment, is 18.000 euro.
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis ( ALS) is the most difficult and most common motor neuron disease and it is characterized by progressive weakness and muscle atrophy , not only limb muscles , but also in muscles required for breathing , speech and swallowing .Two to three years from the symptom onset, ALS patients experience disability , limb palsy, difficulty in breathing, speech and swallowing disorder. The patients are completely conscious and most often mentally healthy till the very end.
The cause of this disease is not known and no successful therapy has been discovered to stop progressiveness of the diseases. The most important thing for ALS patients is to discover the existence of breathing muscles weakness on time and to start using ventilator assistance machines with mask , the object of this action.
Early loss of the renown coach Aca Petrovic and tragedy of the Kokosov family , stimulated KSS, UKTS and Igor and Nenad Kokosov to initiate this and invite all people of good will , above all basketball fans , to help those brave people who suffer from ALS and bravely live with this disease.
Humanitarian action “ 18 for 18” means the sale of 18 original game shirts worn by famous world basketball players , and 18,000 euro has been raised for the purchase of ventilatory assistance machines.
Game shirts :
1. Zeljko Rebrača – Los Angeles Clippers
2. Emanuel Ginobili – San Antonio Spurs
3. Hidayet Turkoglu – Orlando Magic
4. Radoslav Nesterovic – San Antonio Supurs
5. Aleksanda Pavlovic -Cleveland Cavaliers
6. Stephon Marbury – New York Knicks
7. Jason Kid – New New Jersey Nets
8. Marko Jaric – Minnesota Timberwolves
9. Rashad McCants – Minnesota Timberwolves
10. Vladimir Radmanovic – Los Angeles Clippers
11. Nenad Krstic – New Jersey Nets
12. Quentin Richardson – Golden Gate Warriors
13. Vlade Divac – Los Angeles Lakers
14. Antonio Davis – Minnesota Timberwolves
15. Zarko Cabarkapa – Golden Gate Warriors
16. Eurelijus Zukauskas – Olympiacos
17. Milos Teodosic – Serbia
18. Miroslav Raduljica – Serbia
NOTE: all game shirts are originals , used for games and personally signed by the players.